Director Information Technology
Department: IT Department
Reports To: County Court
Salary Grade: $74,900 - $100,713.60
Closes: Open until filled
IT Director – The primary role of this position is to manage the complete IT infrastructure for the County departments including phones, network, web presence, PC and laptops (270+), peripheral devices and software. Other responsibilities include maintaining IT services for the following: the Bowman Museum, the County Library. The IT director is responsible for the whole life cycle of IT projects starting with the long-range planning and consensus meetings, to the needs assessment, budget and funding, implementation and follow up. This involves disseminating complex IT issues to staff, decision makers, legal counsel and County Court. In addition, this position is responsible for the integrity of County data, its backup, disaster recovery and security, as well as ensuring that the County complies with state and federal legal requirements such as HIPAA and CJIS. This is a hands-on position where it is expected that the IT director will be managing servers and network equipment and troubleshooting issues.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversees operations of the GIS department in conjunction with the GIS Manager
- Analyzes complex business needs presented by the user community and/or clients and recommends technical solutions
- Ensures the consistency and maintainability of existing applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions
- Directs operations in executing production tasks according to a documented schedule that meets or exceeds customer expectations
- Produces detailed time line for each application upgrade and implements effective project control by monitoring the progress of the software release and reporting the status
- Directs and prioritizes the work load of IT Department personnel
- Approves all business requirements prior to the technical solution
- Participates on all hardware and software evaluations and maintains vendor contracts
- Represents the IT function at customer review meeting when appropriate
- Perform liaison duties between users, operations, and programming personnel in the areas of systems design and implementation, modifications or trouble shooting Performs salary administration and conducts interviews and makes recommendations for new hires, consultants and/or replacement personnel.
- Plans and prioritizes long-range projects to ensure continuing compatibility of projects, interoperability of systems, and effective use of current IT infrastructure and software.
- Ensures the day-to-day operation of the County IT infrastructure such as its WAN and LAN networks, data backup, disaster mitigation, e-mail, remote connections, phones, servers and PC’s.
- Experience in implementing effective and innovative software development methodologies
- Operations experience in a production environment
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in grant writing as well as other funding requests
- Solid writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and motivate professional staff
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning new technologies.
- Broad knowledge of varied IT systems infrastructure, concepts, and methodologies
- Understanding of general business, local government, and local government issues
- Advanced knowledge of Server architecture, business networks and security
- Technical Capacity.
- Teamwork Collaboration
- Time Management.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Ethical Conduct.
This position has supervisory responsibilities over 5 employees.
This is largely a sedentary role; however some filing, lifting and carrying may be required. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, twist, and bend.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. This position requires on call 365-7-24 for emergency situations.
Occasional travel is expected.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum of 5 years experience within the Information Technology field
- 2-3 years of management experience
- Project management certification or experience with managing multiple projects
- CJIS Security certification level III or the ability to obtain within 1 month of hire date
- Cisco certification with networking (CCNA or Network + or higher) or the ability to pass certification within 1 year of hire date.
- Experience in the following technologies/products required:
- MS SQLServer 2012 or more recent
- Windows 7/10 and Windows Server 2008-2012 OS or more recent
- VM technologies
- Networking principles and Cisco switches, routers and firewalls
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Able to complete a thorough employment and/or criminal history check.
- Able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug test (not required for all positions).
- Final candidates will be required to provide official proof of college degree and certified transcripts (not required for all positions).
Safety Sensitive Requirements
This position is considered to be a safety sensitive position
- This position is ‘at-will’, and either Crook County or the employee may terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause.
- Crook County is an equal opportunity employer
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.