Job Title: CORRECTION DEPUTY
Department: JAIL DIVISION/SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Reports To: JAIL SERGEANT
Salary Grade: $3998.08 - $5421.35
Position Close Date: December 14, 2018
I. Job Purpose:
This position is responsible for the supervision, care and safety of all inmates incarcerated in the Crook County Jail Facility (CCJF). This position daily performs jail institution activities and investigates incidents that occur inside the jail. This position is also responsible for transporting inmates between jail facilities and to court. Work is performed in a combined work environment of both the general jail facility and an office and occasionally in a vehicle. This requires a high level of public contact and stressful situations with inmates in the Jail. This position is responsible for duties that require certification by the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST).
• Number of Employees Reporting to This Position: 0
II. Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Searches all in custody persons brought into the jail.
- Processes all in custody persons according to operations policies and procedures.
- Manage inmate files including filing, storing and processing according to policy and procedure.
- Completes hourly physical check and count of each inmate lodged in the Jail; makes additional random checks as appropriate.
- Oversee the daily cleaning of the Jail Facility.
- Ensure inmates receive and adequate supply of clean clothes, linen, bedding and that personal hygiene needs are met.
- Transports and serves meals to the inmates at prescribed times.
- Transports inmates to and from court as necessary and in compliance with policy, procedure and directives.
- Allows access to legal materials and attorney visits according to policy, procedure and directives.
- Provides for emergency medical care as required; arranges for non-emergency medical care according to policy, procedure and directives.
- Maintain the jail facility in a secure condition protecting the public from undue danger; provide for security of inmates from other inmates and from disaster.
- Allow commissary privileges, telephone calls and visits according to policy, procedure and directives.
- Oversee persons in custody on electronic monitoring according to policy, procedure and directives.
III. Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Position must be available for rotating shifts including holiday, evening, and weekend assignments.
- Ability and skill to communicate effectively.
- Ability and skill to gain cooperation of others.
- Ability to work with confidential data and reports regarding legal matters on a regular basis.
- Ability and skill to learn and apply policies and procedures of the office.
- Ability and skill to learn and interpret and apply state laws and statutes.
- Ability to learn and apply modern practices and methods of jail institution operations, equipment and reference guides.
- Ability and skill to work with others and to contribute to a positive work environment.
- Ability to push/pull objects, lift objects off the ground, from elevated surfaces and carry in excess of 100 pounds.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time in a vehicle or at a desk.
- Ability to talk on the phone/radio while using computer.
- Ability to talk on radio while operating a vehicle.
- Ability to read instructions, manuals and road signs.
- Ability to hear alarms, voice conversation, etc.
- Ability to grip and hold a person to maintain control. Hold/restrain a struggling person.
- Ability to bend over at the waist, kneel, reach, twist at the waist, walk, run to pursue fleeing person and stand for extended periods.
- Ability to expend large unexpected and continued amounts of energy to capture and restrain inmates.
- Ability to hold/fire and qualify with office issued weapons.
- Ability to routinely operate a vehicle and operate a large motor vehicle for transports in a safe and prudent manner according to policy.
- Must wear issued body armor when performing corrections job duties.
- Must wear/use PPE when in any situation where exposure to biohazard is likely.
- Ability to use a computer keyboard and mouse.
- Work effectively with angry, hostile or upset citizens or inmates and maintain a calm demeanor.
- Able to make effective and appropriate decisions under times of stress.
- Cope with the physical effects of acute emotional personal stress (fear, anger, etc.).
- Cope with the physical effects of acute emotional stress of others.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent, some college preferred.
- Minimum 21 years of age
- U.S. Citizen; or ability to obtain U.S. Citizenship within 12 months. (OAR 259-008-0010)
- Valid Oregon driver’s license by time of appointment
- No criminal record or extensive traffic violation record.
- Successfully complete DPSST corrections academy, basic certification within 12 months of hire.
- Must hold or be able to obtain LEDS Certification.
- Must be able to obtain a CJIS Security Clearance.
- Prior to or on date of hire:
- Able to complete a thorough employment and/or criminal history check.
- Able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug test (not required for all positions).
- Final candidates will be required to provide official proof of college degree and certified transcripts (not required for all positions).
V. Position Details:
- The duties outlined in this job description are not all inclusive and additional duties and tasks will be assigned as required. Not all duties listed will be assigned to all employees in this classification.
- Position is subject to 24-hour call-back.
- Position has exposure to weapons or firearms, exposure to biohazards, driving at high speeds in all types of weather, and exposure to weather extremes.
- This position is subject to and shall subscribe to the Oath of Office and shall be subject to the laws, rules, policies and procedures of the Sheriff’s Office, the County and the State as they apply to all employees.
- Fair Labor Standards Classification: Non-Exempt
- Position is part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and subject to Association Dues.
- Crook County Sheriff’s Office is an equal opportunity employer