Youth Liaison-Jefferson County
Department: Crook County Health Department
Location: Jefferson County
Reports To: Prevention & Health Promotion Supervisor
Salary: $10.78 - $11.78 (Temporary, 6 hours weekly)
Close Date: Open until filled.
The Youth Liaison will serve as a student representative for their local community prevention coalition in order to bring teen perspective to prevention efforts. They will participate in trainings with Health Department staff, their peers, and other members of the coalition. They will help develop a plan to prevent youth substance use and abuse, with a primary focus on preventing underage tobacco use through the promotion of retail and clean air policies. This plan will be implemented in partnership with Youth Leaders and Adult Champions in the Central Oregon region and include presentations to community leaders, students, and the public. The schedule for this position will average 6 hours per week and will be flexible to accommodate student school and extracurricular activities.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Become familiar with the Strategies for Policy and Environmental Change, Tobacco-Free activities and objectives.
- With the help of Prevention & Health Promotion staff, develop an action plan for integrating youth and schools in underage tobacco use and substance abuse prevention.
- As a member of Crook County High School Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), support chapter efforts to prevent substance use, promote healthy relationships and personal safety among students.
- Participate in local coalition meetings and workgroups, as applicable.
- Recruit youth to participate in the Youth Advocacy Retreat, OPHA’s Capitol Visit, and other trainings and events as needed.
- Assist with planning and implementation of local events that promote policies that protect the public exposure to secondhand smoke and vapors, and that prevent underage use.
- Develop and conduct presentations at school, in the community, and throughout the Central Oregon region as necessary.
- Technical Capacity.
- Teamwork Collaboration
- Time Management.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Ethical Conduct.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This role will include a combination of sedentary desk work, standing presentations, and active group facilitation; some filing, lifting and carrying may be required. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Presentation equipment includes microphones, audio and video recorders, projectors, lighting and backdrops. Presentations and events will be off-site at times and may require working in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds, twist, and bend.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a temporary, part-time position. Days and hours of work will be flexible Monday through Friday to accommodate student school and extra-curricular activities. Some weekends will be required for travel, events, and/or training.
Local and regional travel for presentations, events, and training can be expected. State or national travel may be an option for training and/or presentation purposes.
- Place Matters Conference in Portland, OR: Sunday, October 28 – Wednesday, October 31, 2018
- Oregon Public Health Association Capitol Visit Day: January 31, 2019 (tentative)
Required Education and Experience
- Completion of 9th grade and current high school student
- Experience working as part of a group or team to accomplish a shared goal
Preferred Education and Experience
- Cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher
- Completed coursework or training related to health
- 1 year experience working as part of a group or team to accomplish a shared goal
- Experience as a SADD member
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Reliable transportation. Driver’s license preferred or ability to obtain within three months of hire.
- Able to complete a thorough employment and/or criminal history check.
- Final candidates will be required to provide official transcripts (not required for all positions).
Safety Sensitive Requirements
- This position is not considered to be a safety sensitive position
- This position is ‘at-will’, and either Crook County or the employee may terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause.
- Crook County is an equal opportunity employer
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.