Planning Manager - Community Development
Job Title: Planning Manager
Department: Crook County Community Development
Reports To: Community Development Director
Salary Grade: 33.24 -35.26
All application/Resume submissions must be received through the link provided above
I. Job Purpose:
Under the supervision of the Community Development Director, the Planning Manager ensures the effective delivery of land use planning services in Crook County. The position is part of the Community Development leadership team and ensures that the Department’s one-stop permitting is delivered efficiently. The position conducts complex technical research and analysis on land use applications and is responsible for implementing the County’s comprehensive plan and zoning code. The position also addresses future community planning needs through updates to the comprehensive plan, changes to the County Code and other special projects. The position establishes close working relationships with elected and appointed officials, other county department, the Planning Commission and outside agencies and advisory groups. The position supervises a team of professionals responsible for implementing Community Development programs (e.g., planning, code compliance and on-site permitting activities).
• Number of Employees Reporting to This Position: 5-6
II. Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Leads and participates in complex planning projects. Delegates project responsibilities to other planning staff and oversees project completion.
- Participates in developing recommendation to the County Court and Planning Commission. Conducts research and develops recommendations for new and revised zoning and land use- ordinances Prepares findings to support proposals by the Planning Commission going before the County Court.
- Supervises land use and other projects to ensure they are proceeding efficiently and on schedule by conferring with project management team members and key staff. Review preliminary and final project results.
- Serves as staff to the Planning Commission.
- Counsels the public on problems, questions, and complaints regarding land use, land development, and zoning. Applies discretion, as needed, to respond to land use inquiries on a case by case basis, while complying with state and local laws.
- Supervises professional and technical planning staff in reviewing and issuing land use decisions and evaluating permit processing. Works to improve efficiencies in program execution.
- Supervises Community Development projects to ensure they are proceeding efficiently and on schedule by conferring with project management team members and key staff. Review preliminary and final project results.
- Coordinates on land use issues with the City of Prineville, the State of Oregon, and special districts (e.g., irrigation districts, the Crook County Fire and Rescue District….).
- Works to ensure that staff receive appropriate training.
- Supervises staff of the on-site program and oversees program delivery. Works with staff to ensure that Department of Environmental Quality requirements are met.
- Works with staff to establish priorities and reassigns staff to meet program objectives. Ensures that the work environment supports team members’ problem solving and staff led initiatives.
- Works with staff to maintain excellent customer service and an efficient flow of work. Takes appropriate action to eliminate disruptions, conflicts, and delays.
III. Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices, laws, regulations, and administrative policies governing County land use planning; extensive knowledge of Oregon land use law;
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of budgeting, management, and supervision;
- Knowledge of the techniques of planning research including understanding of the physical, social, and economic issues related to land use and application of demographics and analytical methods.
- Skills in effectively managing staff and delegating tasks.
- Skills in analyzing issues and preparing recommendations to the Planning Commission and County Court;
- Skills prioritizing, managing, and delivering multiple projects
- Skill in maintaining harmony within a work team, conducting training, resolving conflicts, and conveying courteous responses to customer inquiries.
- Ability to provide clear oral and written communication and ability to convey information in an effective and constructive manner to staff, public officials, and the public
- Ability to use GIS software to access map and land use data. Ability to use electronic data bases, including Oregon’s e-permitting system.
- Ability to comprehend and apply concepts to solve problems
- Ability to work independently and to exercise sound, independent judgment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with customers in a regulatory setting.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in community and regional planning, urban planning, public administration or a closely related field and at least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in land use planning, including significant project management and supervisory experience or the equivalent education and experience. A minimum of 3 years’ experience in County land use planning is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred and at least two (2) years of supervisory experience is required.
- Prior to or on date of hire:
- Able to complete a thorough employment and/or criminal history check.
- Able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug test (not required for all positions).
- Final candidates will be required to provide official proof of college degree and certified transcripts (not required for all positions).
V. Position Details:
- The duties outlined in this job description are not all inclusive and additional duties and tasks will be assigned as required.
- Work location is Community Development Dept.
- Fair Labor Standards Classification: Exempt
- Crook County is an equal opportunity employer
- This position is ‘at-will’, and either Crook County or the employee may terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause.