Permit Technician - Building
Job Title: Permit Technician
Department: Community Development
Reports To: Community Development Director
Salary Grade: 113 / $17.02 - $19.15
All applications must be submitted through link provided below
I. Job Purpose:
The Permit Technician position provides assistance to the public regarding building, planning and environmental health information to the public at the counter and on the telephone in a professional and courteous manner. The Permit Technician performs a variety of general and technical duties requiring basic knowledge of laws relating to one or all of the following: Building Permits, On-Site permits, Planning/Zoning permits or land use processes. This position works under the immediate supervision of the Community Development Director.
Number of Employees Reporting to this Position: 0
II. Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Answers simple planning, building and/or environmental questions over the phone, by email or at the counter
- Advises permit applicants of requirements and procedural steps to develop property in Crook County
- Checks applications and plans for completeness; determine the correct permit type needed and issue all types of permits
- Assists professionals and general public with property information
- Answers phones and directs calls to appropriate person.
- Maintains electronic files, permits, and inspection documents
- Enters data into Accela, the County’s e-permitting system. Uses Accela to retrieve information. Advises customers on how to retrieve information electronically
- Assists in other areas as needed
- Calculates application fees and verifies receipt of payments
- Performs other duties as required.
III. Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
- Working knowledge of property development and construction practices.
- Ability to operate a computer, accurately enter data and use related software applications including Microsoft Office. Ability to accurately word process, maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to learn County’s e-permitting system (Accela).
- Ability to make routine mathematical calculations accurately
- Ability to learn departmental processes and procedures
- Ability to provide excellent internal and external customer service at all times
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
- This position requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, and stooping. The employee may occasionally lift or move objects weighing over 25 pounds.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent; AND
- Two (2) year of progressively responsible clerical, administrative support and customer service experience; AND
- Prior to or on date of hire:
- Able to complete a thorough employment and/or criminal history check.
- Able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug test (not required for all positions).
- Final candidates will be required to provide official proof of college degree and certified transcripts (not required for all positions).
V. Position Details:
- The duties outlined in this job description are not all inclusive and additional duties and tasks will be assigned as required.
- Work location is (name of location or office).
- Fair Labor Standards Classification: Non-Exempt
- Crook County is an equal opportunity employer
- This position is ‘at-will’, and either Crook County or the employee may terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause.
I acknowledge that I have read the above job description that applies to the position to which I have been appointed and I have received a copy thereof.
Employee Print Name: ____________________________________ Date: _________________
Employee Signature: ______________________________________Date:__________________
Supervisor Signature: ______________________________________Date: ________________